Thursday, April 19, 2018

IMPERFECT FÊTE


photo by Giuseppe Milo

Welcome! We're having a Mistake Party today!

Is that crazy? Are we celebrating messing up?

Well, sort of, in that inventions, creativity, science, and more can't thrive without trial and error. No risks, no reward!

Beyond that, mistakes are part of being alive. They're part of being human, although humans admittedly aren't the only ones who make mistakes. I know dogs who've eaten bananas with the peel, whole pans of dessert, and bars of soap. Let's hope we are better at learning from our mistakes than they were!

And still, even when we learn from our mistakes, it can be tough to avoid making new ones. We want to remember the names of people we meet, and not miss deadlines, or leave our homework at home, but we can't get everything right all the time. Sometimes it's not even obvious what the right thing to do is until afterwards! Considering we can't help making mistakes, we have to learn how to deal with them. How to make amends, how to forgive, how to laugh about it, how to move on.

That's why the book we're celebrating today was created. So we could spend a little time forgiving ourselves, forgiving others, moving on. You can find IMPERFECT online at Indiebound, Powell's, Amazon (in multiple countries), and Barnes and Noble.

the back cover of IMPERFECT

So glad you came to our little soiree! It's a little embarrassing that three of us are wearing the same dress, but what can you do? I spilled some cheese dip down my front, but I hope it kind of blends in with the pattern. Did you come for the froggy butter and bagels? Dig in!

In honor of making "golden repairs" to our mistakes, we're giving away a kintsugi kit here and at The Opposite of Indifference. (The one here is gold and the one at TOOI is silver...you can try for either or both.) The deadline for the giveaway is May 4.



Feel free to let us know what you brought with you/wore to the celebration! Did anybody bring any music? You can put your song on when "Nobody to Blame But Me" is over.


Hey, did somebody get into the cake already?
photo by Jenny

17 comments:

  1. Your beautiful anthology is going to be a great success with kids and teachers. Congratulations and thank you for including my poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Perfectly Perfect "Imperfect" Anthology Tabatha! Brought some bluesy music to add to the "Team Imperfect" Party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9lvA1POfQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came a little early, and I'm still in my pyjamas. How embarrassing! Oh well - the bagels and froggy butter look great. Congratulations on the book - I can't wait to hold it in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! It's launch day. Many congratulations, Tabatha! I look forward to getting a physical copy in my hands. I'm celebrating Imperfect over at A Word Edgewise, today. I'm popping in here to toss a handful of confetti ;)
    https://awordedgewiselindamitchell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I overslept and am a bit later than I'd planned. Somehow that seems just right here! :) Congratulations again on the book! I can't wait to dive into it and celebrate some mistake making.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another musical treat to help celebrate: https://youtu.be/9-8phUuifjo. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something so freeing about coming to a party where we can all flub up! Pass the humble pie! (And congrats -- so flattered to be featured in this lovely book...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the music and for bringing your goofy selves, y'all!

    Amazon mistakenly didn't stock enough! (They need to realize how great the demand is!) But, when last I checked, B&N and Powell's still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I brought spinach and tomato quiche. Oops, dropped it on the porch. Hey, it's still edible and downright delicious. Don't we all worry too much about dirt? Leaves?

    Amazon didn't stock enough? How foolish of them. :-)

    Anyone want some quiche? Goes well with a bagel.

    I love the idea of the kintsugi kit. I hope I win! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the cake. It may be a mistake to have cake before breakfast, but who can blame me? Especially because I'm so dang happy to be part of your debut anthology, Madame Editor! As far as I can tell, the biggest mistake folks can make is not to buy this book and share widely. It's going to make a difference in so many middle schoolers lives. Congratulations, my friend! (So where's that cheese dip? It looks good.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Par-TAYYYYYYY! And, Ruth, I'm still in my PJs. It's 10:30 a.m. Is that a mistake? (I'm really about to get dressed now. Really.) CONGRATS ALL - Here's to our charming imperfections! Thank you, Tabatha, for making this happen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I brought some day-old bagels and lukewarm coffee, for breakfast at 1:30. But hey, lukewarm coffee still carries a charge and I'm ready to go now! Congratulations, Tabatha, on masterminding this anthology. So glad to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm certainly excited! Was I supposed to bring something? I'm usually the person who forgets to bring something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stopped by again and brought a song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VjaCy5gck

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to write a poetry book about and a great age range! I make mistakes all the time, everyone does. This book seems perfect for middle schoolers who need to be taught it’s all right to make mistakes, we all do, learn from it and move on. I am looking forward to reading it and sharing it with students.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I brought sand. And lots of it! Because I'm currently in Sharjah, sharing the love of poetry with children at the Sharjah Children's Reading Festival. Which is why I'm a little late to the party... (I made the mistake of thinking it was tomorrow, when really it was yesterday - which is today... I think?)

    I have a poem in the anthology about being scared of cows... but yesterday, I did this; (No mistake!) https://www.instagram.com/p/BhzPMo7h1d-/?taken-by=kat.apel - and it was awesome!!

    Congratulations, Tabatha. It was no mistake when you had this great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm bring my imperfect bread that I tried to make with no recipe what you teeth on the first bit what a fun party :)

    ReplyDelete